1.29.2010

Day 70 -- January 16

My baby brother is 23 years old today! Whoa! That's crazy! What a weekend we've had. Grandpa Campbell was taking down treestands on Jan. 14 (Thurs) and came in and told my grandma that he wasn't feeling right. After some deliberating and convincing, Grandma took him to Saline Hospital. Good news -- he hadn't had a heart attack...yet...but all the symptoms were right for it. They transferred him to St. Joe's Thursday late afternoon and got him prepared to do either a stress test or a heart catherization on Friday.


After his enzime numbers were much higher than they wanted, they decided to give him a heart cath on Friday. He went in about 2:30 and came out about 3:30pm. Mom called me while I was getting ready to go get my hair cut to let me know that the docs put a stint in where my gpa had a 95% blockage. As much as she tried to convince me that he was okay and everything was fine now, I still had a terrible feeling. 6 years ago on January 19, I missed being with my great grandma in her final moments by 10 minutes because I didn't have my phone on me. This was already on my mind and I kept getting this feeling that I should be at the hospital, not getting my hair cut. Well...Katie, who normally does my hair, is out on maternity leave... so Jessica is filling in for her. I walked in and Jessica proceeded to negate everything I asked for for my hair. She even asked me what kind of scissors Katie uses on my hair so she could know how to cut it....I should have LEFT RIGHT THEN. But my mind was on other things and I just wanted my hair cut so I could get up to the hospital. She finally started cutting it and gave me a TERRIBLE haircut. She didn't thin it so the main layers wouldn't hold any shape... She also cut the top layer really short... Basically, I had 3 different hair styles...the left side, the right side & the back. AND SHE GAVE ME BANGS!?!?! What!?!? It was terrible. She also told me that people like us (she was a bigger girl) have to watch how short we cut our hair because it has a tendency to make our faces look fatter. Wonderful. Thank you. I just met you 20 minutes ago. Get me out of here! By the time I left I drove to the hospital in tears. Little did I know what was waiting for me there......


Once I got to the hospital I attempted to comb out the layers of hairspray Jessica had put on my hair. I went in to Grandpa's CCU room where my mom told me that he had to have another heart cath because something else was going on -- he was in so much pain in his head & chest that they actually gave him a cat scan to make sure he wasn't having a stroke! Back to the 2nd floor we went to wait for the 2nd heart cath. Finally, all came out well and good. I was able to go to dinner with Nancy & Chris at Nancy's! Nancy had made homemade alfredo sauce (so delicious!) and we had our own pasta bowls, etc and watched Dirty Dancing: Havanah Nights. What a day!


So by the time Saturday rolled around, we were all worn out. Went and visited Grandpa at the hospital before family came over to celebrate Austin's birthday that evening. Grandpa had a HILARIOUS nurse that kept us all laughing...talking about her crazy cat...whew did she keep us cackling! So good for my grandpa though. Once family started coming over, the younger ones headed to the basement to play Band Hero (which I got for Xmas) -- too funny!


Happy Birthday Austin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully next year won't be so eventful!

*Austin playing Band Hero



*Trying to get my mom to sing "Kung Fu Fighting" (I think that's the right song!)

No comments: